ökokiste – our organic vegetable box

i’ve always liked the concept of the “vegetable box“: once a week, a box stuffed with seasonal vegetables from a local farm is delivered to your doorstep. the veggies that get included are chosen by the farm and the selection is different every week.

so when i learned that they had it here in berlin as well, it was love at first sight. the maerkischekiste.de website is all in german, but with some help i was able to navigate it, and order our first box. it arrived this wednesday, bright and early:

it included tomatoes, cauliflower, lettuce, peppers, dill and cucumber, all fresh and luscious. we’ve already done some asian cauliflower fried rice, used the peppers and tomatoes on ratatouille and sprinkled the dill on grilled salmon. come to think of it, i don’t think i ever bought fresh dill on a supermarket before, so in a way it’s nice to don’t have so much control over the grocery shopping. the surprise vegetables are a good motivator to learn new recipes! :)

i wonder what next week will bring?

9 comments to “ökokiste – our organic vegetable box”

• Antonio Rebordao says:

To have enough tomatos and paprika for my needs, I would have too much cauliflower. Isn’t it possible to select the vegetables beforehand?

• Nathalie says:

I love that concept, too ! I have some friends who are looking whether such a thing is organized in Helsinki, they shall tell me when they find it, because I haven’t heard of it yet. But I’d just love to get my food as a surprise and to be forced to use imagination in order to use it ! Might be a little more demanding than usual but I’d love to try, it must be very exciting. Plus it’s a good thing to encourage local businesses !

• ana says:

@Antonio: it’s possible to take out some of the ones you don’t like, but i don’t know about selecting them. that would be like online shopping, and the concept of the box would be lost!

@Nath: it is exciting, the first day i was really giddy! :D can’t wait for the next one!

• sílvia says:

que bom aspecto e que boa ideia! de certeza que ajuda no dilema das compras: ainda não sei o que vou cozinhar, quanto mais o que devo comprar…

• Vicki says:

This is how I felt about my Harvest Box of nuts that come weekly. I never know what 4 varieties of nuts and seeds I am getting and it is a bit treat when opening the box.

• Iris says:

I heard about this idea online years ago too. I’ve always wanted to try it but I live in a place where that just isn’t viable. I guess it would feel like Christmas every week! Thanks for sharing the pics! (Makes me hungry…)

• Raquel says:

I’m so happy about this post (sorry, just read it now..)!!! My sister recently wrote about something similar in Lisbon and I was jealous and didn’t know if there was something like it in Berlin too, happy happy happy :)

• SarahF says:

Aah, this looks delicious! I’m moving to Berlin in 3 months, too and now I have something (more) I really wish to try. I love the randomness! And it’s healthy, too. :)

• meiadeleite.com » the fish basket says:

[…] in berlin, we had a weekly delivery vegetables in a basket. i’ve always liked the concept and it made sense when we lived there… but around here, […]